Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Project: Organization

I'm not really big on New Years Resolutions, never really have been. There isn't usually a time of year that's especially motivating to me to make major life changes. But this year, I've decided that I want 2011 to be the year to get myself, especially my house, in order. The biggest annoyance in the house are the kids toys - they're everywhere! I've tried a few different storage solutions, which mostly equated to large bins just piled with toys, and it seemed to make the mess just grow because the kids would dump everything out just trying to find the one toy they wanted to play with. So now I'm trying something new with smaller bins so the kids can actually see what toys they have and want to play with, then can easily see where everything goes when it's time to clean up.

I started working in Isaac's room, and after a bit of work yesterday, here is how it turned out:
Small bins for his small toys, and shelves for his bigger trucks.
I was surprised how many toys were hiding under his bed! No more, now everything has a place. Even his closet is clean! The girls' room will be a bit more challenging since I don't have as much space to work with, but so far we've got the stuffed animals quarantined in a hammock,
and the small toys are finding homes in bins of their own. Emilie is having a harder time with the concept of putting things back in their place after play time, and it make take some time for it to sink in, but I think that now that things have homes, it will make it easier in the long run.Next in line, the laundry/craft room and the PANTRY. I'm scared.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Yay!! I LOVE to organize!!! So fun!!!

Ioana said...

Way to go! It looks great! Organizing toys is something I still haven't been successful at. One day...:)

Unknown said...

Looks good! That is probably on everyones to do list - I know we are doing some of it much to the kids dismay :)

Kathryn S. said...

I love when things are organized! I'm actually working on the same thing right now. For us, it's our Master bedroom (I have my primary stuff all over the floor) and our office/storage room where I have so much filing to do it should take me a month, but we'll see.