Before we know it, baby girl Hatch is going to be here and that means there's some changes that are going to have to start happening, mostly with Emilie. While I would LOOOOVE to have her potty trained before November, I just don't see that realistically happening, and that's ok. But another big milestone will need to be reached - the transition to the big girl bed. Baby sister is going to need the crib and I can already tell that she is not going to want to give it up easily.
My plan is to set the BGB up in her room and just let her explore it for a few days. At first when she saw what was going on though, here was her reaction:

Not only was she crying hysterically, she wouldn't come near me and finally had to go downstairs because she was so upset with me even getting the bed out.

But being the camera-loving girl that she is, she did want to get her picture taken. This is her sad-but-trying-to-look-happy face.
After a while, she warmed up to the idea a little bit and actually wanted to go sit on the bed with her book, just as long as she didn't have to commit to anything.

Once she had calmed down and she wasn't so freaked out by everything, we went downstairs and had lunch, and then came the real challenge - nap time! I asked her if she wanted to sleep in her baby crib or her big girl bed, and she enthusiastically said:

BIG GIRL BED! She crawled right in with her blankie and baby doll and stayed in bed... for about 2 minutes. I kept putting her back in bed another 5 or 6 times until finally putting her back in her crib where she is finally taking her nap. I don't expect her to really take a nap, or sleep overnight for that matter, in the new bed for a while yet, but I want her to get comfortable with it and actually want to sleep in it. I can already tell though that once a new little baby is around using all her old stuff, she is not going to be too pleased. I just hope that she can get excited about being the big sister and enjoy all the cool things that come along with being older.
The other dilemma we're facing is where to put the baby. Initially, I thought the girls would just share a room (how cute would that be?), but Isaac is so distraught about not having someone to share a room with, and I worry about the baby keeping Emilie up at night, so we're considering having Isaac and Emilie share a room for a while. Anyone have experience with this that they would like to share?
5 comments:
oh, i feel for you! it doesn't look like miss emilie is going to be to happy about your plans :) - camie
I think everything will be okay if you have the older kids share a room for a while. My brother's two older kids (a boy and a girl) shared a room together when their little brother was born. Now, the three of them (ages 10, 7, and 5) all share a room together because they're in a small house with little room to spare. If anything, it has taught all of them to be more courteous to each other and to get used to sharing.
oh that face is priceless. i love it. i'm not looking forward to putting tate into a big boy bed...yikes
Yay! For Emilie and her big Girl bed!! :) And I think it is totally fine for them to share a room!! My brother and I shared a room when my little sister was a baby!! We had bunkbeds and it was so fun!! I remember my brother used to read me stories every night!! Fun times!! :)
She looks JUST like you! I didn't see it before now, but now I can't stop thinking about how she looks like a mini version of you but with blond hair. John said it too without me even telling him what I was thinking. Crazy! And SO cute even with the tears.
Post a Comment