Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

As many of you know, I'm all about saving money, especially when it comes to buying food and groceries! I've recently become a HUGE fan of Bountiful Baskets! It's a food co-op run by volunteers, so you're not paying the overhead at the grocery store for delicious, fresh, locally-grown produce. The fee is $15 per basket which is half fruits and half vegetables, but you're getting around $50 worth of produce. You don't really know what will be in your basket before you get there, but it's kind of exciting to see what you get for that week. It's also a wonderful way to diversify your diet and try foods that you might not normally eat. Last time we got white asparagus and mangoes in our basket, and we all loved them!

Bountiful Baskets is available in Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and Washington, and you can go on their website and see if there are pick-up locations near you. If you decide you want a basket, you log in Monday evening through Tuesday evening (the sooner the better, some locations sell out quickly!) and then you pick up your basket Saturday morning on your scheduled pick-up time. You can also order bread and other seasonal food in addition to your basket. I haven't branched out that far yet, but I'm sure I will in time!

No comments: