I've been meaning to do this tutorial for a while but haven't had time, but I have tonight, so here you go!

What you need to make your own nursing wrap:
- 1 yard of cotton fabric (get the good stuff from a quilt store, the $9/yard stuff, trust me on this! And bigger prints usually look nicer than small prints)
- 2 - 1" D rings
- 16 inches of 1/2 inch boning (it's the hard stuff used in corsets, and it's sold with the sewing notions at most fabric stores. I got mine at Joann's and is about $3/yard.)
- Thread
- About 1.5 hours, depending on how fast you are and how few distractions you have
First start by squaring up your fabric along the cut edge (not the selvage edge). Keep it folded in half. Don't worry about making sure the fabric is exactly 36 inches long, an inch give or take won't make much difference.

Once that is straight, fold the fabric in half (newly trimmed edges together) and cut fabric at 13 inches (so that it will be 26 inches when you unfold it). The finished piece should measure 26" x 36". While it's still on the cutting board, cut another strip 3" wide (final measurement of 3" x 36"). This will be the strap of the wrap. The last piece with the selvage edge is extra, but I've heard some people use it to make a wipes cover. When I figure out how to make that, I'll put up instructions for that too!

Put the larger piece aside and let's get going on the straps! Unfold the 3" strip (but keep the pieces together) and cut a 9" strip. This will be the D-ring side. (I forgot to take a picture of that part, but I'm sure you can figure out what that piece looks like!) The remaining piece should be about 25" long and will be the tie strap. You'll need to taper on edge, so to do this, put your ruler on the edge of one side and measure 2" in, then angle the ruler out to widen out to the 3" at the base.

Here's what the final strip should look like:

Now take the smaller piece and put the pieces print-side together and sew the long sides using about a 1/4" seam. (I just use the side of the foot as a guide, it doesn't need to be exact, but does need to be consistent). Leave the top and bottom open.
Repeat with the long, tapered strap, but start at the wide end and sew across the top of the narrow end.

Once that is done, turn the pieces right-side-out. They will look a bit wrinkly, but that's ok! Just get your trusty iron out get to work!

Ahh, that's better!

Now you'll want to top stitch each piece so it looks nice. Use the same 1/4 seam that you used before. Once you go around all three sides of the longer strip, it is done!

Now to finish the short strap! Get out the D-rings and slip them down the middle of the strip and fold it in half. Just do a little pleat thing, it's all good.

Then about an inch below the ring, make a seam (I go back and forth three times for good measure). This will secure the rings so they don't move!

Isn't it pretty? Ah, I'm really loving this print! It's Gypsie Rose by Fig Tree Quilts for Moda. I heart Moda.

Now that the strips are done, let's get the wrap portion done! (And please ignore my fingers, I am quickly realizing how desperately I need a manicure!) First you'll want to hem the sides of the wrap (the shorter sides). Do this by folding the fabric 1/2 inch. I use this little gage thing and it works so well! Iron as you go. Then fold down again to tuck in the raw edge, and iron.

Sew the length of the fabric using 1/2 inch seams. Repeat for the other side. When both sides are done, do the same thing for the bottom of the wrap.

For the top of the wrap, make a 3/4 inch hem, but just iron it, don't sew it! Not yet, anyway. Then get out the boning. This is what it looks like if you've never seen it before. I had never seen it before making these wraps! Most boning is white and it's flexible. Just cut a 16 piece and set it aside.

Take your wrap with your ironed hem and measure 8" from the fold.

Mark both sides with pins.

Open the fabric up. Each pin is where you'll put your straps. I usually put the D-ring strap on the right and the tie strap on the left, but there's no reason why you couldn't do it the other way. Whatever makes you happy. Position the strap with the raw edge under the ironed hem.

Flip it up, take out the pin, and put it back in through the layers of fabric.

Repeat on the other side with the tie strap.

Now it's time for the final hemming! Aren't you excited? Not to make you nervous, but this will be the most obvious seam, so try your best to make it nice and straight! You'll first want to sew using a 3/4 inch seam allowance.

When you get to the first strap, don't worry! There's a lot of layers, but your machine can handle it. Right before you get to the strap, just stop your machine with the needle down, then lift up the pressure foot on top of the strap, then you can keep going and it won't get stuck.

Same thing when you get to the next strap.

Then go back and do one more pass as a top stitch, only this time with a teeny tiny seam allowance. My pressure foot has a little window on the side, and I use that as my guide. I don't know how big it is, 1/16" maybe? I don't know. But just make sure that you go through all the layers of fabric and still leave enough room for the boning to get through.

Once that last top stitch seam is done, get out the boning, it is time. Thread it in one end (I usually go through the edge closest to the longer strap because there is less fabric to go through) and push it through until each end is in the middle of a strap.

Secure the boning in place by sewing from the top of the top stitch to the bottom hem. I go back and forth 3 times to be sure. Repeat on the other side.

Here's a close up of how it should look.

Now you can put your sewing machine away, you are done! All that's left to do is put the straps together! How easy is that? Now go make lots and lots of these for the expecting mothers in your life. They will thank you for it!
1 comment:
I'm so glad that you posted this! Ever since my sisters saw the wrap that you made for me they have been wanting to make some for them as well. Thanks for the info!
Post a Comment