Wednesday, May 7, 2008

She's here!

It's funny how you make certain plans and you get ideas about how things will turn out, but in the end, none of your plans matter because life has a way of making its own plans. That's how Emilie's birth ended up. We left Isaac with Jarom's parents then started heading up to the hospital, but on our way, Michele called and said that they were very busy and to come in at 11pm instead of 8pm. so we went to my parents' house and visited with them to bide our time, then finally ended up at the hospital. By about 11:30pm I was going on the pitocin and labor was underway. Progress was slow-going, and about 4am they broke my water without much significant change. After a few hours, I was still only dilated about 5-6 cm. Part of the problem was the scar tissue from the cerclage not permitting me to dilate further, and part was her head not progressing down into the birth canal. I stayed in a pretty steady laboring pattern all morning, then around 1pm, my doctor decided that the best solution would be to do a c-section. I already had the epidural in place (otherwise i never would have survived all morning!), so they just took me into the OR, upped the drug dose, and cut me open. Jarom stood by my side holding my hand and watching the action, and at 2:01pm, our little Emilie Anne was born! They held her up to let me see her (but all I saw were her little legs), but jarom got to hold her right away then brought her over so I could get a better look at her. She was crying pretty loud when she came out and was bright pink and looked so healthy! She weighed 8 lbs 9 oz and 22 inches long, and of course, we think she's just the cutest little thing ever!

She still has such a cute little cry and she doesn't like to be put down. She's a good nurser and sleeps really well during the day - we're working on sleeping at night too so that Mommy can get some rest too, but that may take a while. Isaac is still staying with Jarom's parents this week, but they brought him up on Monday night to meet her and just fell in love with her. He was so upset that we wouldn't let him hold her more and just wanted to examine her little hands and little face. I think he's going to be a good big brother, although it's going to take a lot of supervision so that he doesn't hurt her.

I think I'll be able to come home on Friday. I can be discharged on thursday, but I'm still in a fair amount of discomfort and could use an extra day recovering. But we will be home by this weekend for sure. We love this adorable little girl and are so excited that she's joined our family!

Here she is!



Daddy holding her. She's about 5 minutes old here.



Here's her proud big brother!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute - We are all so thrilled for you guys - Susie is especially thrilled to have a new 'girl' cousin!! We also wish Claudine a speedy recovery - although from experience you are going to have to take it a bit easy for a few weeks! Take Care!

Connie's Comments said...

What a chunk! I wish I could get my hands on her, those chubby babies are sooo cute! Just how I like 'em. Camie and I will be waiting anxiously for more pics. Hope you feel beeter real fast!

Jennifer Gerritsen said...

I have been waiting for days it seems to see what she looks like! A doll! Congrats you guys!

Leslie said...

Oh my gosh, congratulations!! I have been thinking about you often and am glad things went so well! Emilie is a doll! And huge! I can't believe how exciting it is you get to take her home WITH YOU. How ridiculously normal that must feel! :)
I hope things go well with the c-section recovery, not fun I know. Strangely after mine, a nurse came in at 4 am and made me walk for the first time and I wanted to cry. After that, it was all downhill. So fun to see Isaac as a big brother! Hope you take it easy and post tons of pics when you can! Love you guys!

Brady, Emily, Brinklee, Adri (Private) said...

Oh! Congratulations! I am so excited for you guys. I am so sorry labor was so difficult, but babies are sure worth it all. I am so happy for you.

The Fairbanks said...

She is so beautiful! What an angel! I can't wait to come and see her. Congratulations you guys! So glad that everything went so smoothly. What a blessing!

Ioana said...

She is sooooooooo BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!! You have such a beautiful family! I hope you will recover very fast!

Brooke said...

Congrats we are so happy for you guys glad to hear everything went ok and that she is her and healthy!

Annakaisa said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

Erin Weed said...

Oh she's just beautiful!!!!! I just love that picture of her and Isaac; he's going to be such a good older brother.

I can't wait to see her. I'll call this weekend sometime.

mindi said...

Oh, that smile on Isaac's face just says it all! She is so cute and just perfect! Congrats!!! We'll be coming over to see you as soon as we can. Kaleb's pretty much better - we're just waiting for me to kick this darn thing!