Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Mommy Day

Do you ever have those days that are so quintessentially "mommy days?" Today was mine. Things started out fine, even got both kids bathed (a noteworthy event on its own accord), and we were downstairs eating our ultra health cocoa puffs for breakfast (at least we weren't drinking kool-aid with our cereal...), when Emilie started to fuss a little and squirm around - she was sitting on my lap at the time. I hadn't heard the usual warning popping and swooshing sounds, but I look down in time to see baby poop oozing out of her pants and onto my pants, then onto the chair. Mother instincts took over as I grabbed for some paper towels to sop up the offending ooze, then ran her upstairs to begin the cleaning process.

Not only did I have to change my entire outfit, and I mean everything, but her clothes were just caked in sludge. They are soaking in the sink right now, but I don't know if it's even worth trying to save them at this point. Emilie, like most babies, has had blow-outs before, but today's was truly one to behold. And of course this happened not fifteen minutes after her bath, but because the mess was so complete and magnificent, she got another bath.

So that was on one end of the mommy spectrum. The other end came while I was at the park with the kids and Isaac found a kid that he wanted to play with. He's such a happy, out-going kid who LOVES to play with kids. So he begins talking to this kid (actually, it started out mostly with him copying what the kid was saying, for some reason), then he turned towards me and showed the kid, that's my mommy! He was so proud to point me out and have that kid know that I was him mom and for some reason, it really surprised me! Sometimes I wonder if he really likes me on some days because I'm always after him for one thing or another, and I know that the day will come that he will vehemently deny my very existence while with his friends, but at least for now, he is happy that I'm his mom. Maybe because it's because I let him eat those darn cocoa puffs...

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Ooohhh! I totally know what you mean! I love it when Jesse can show that he loves his mommy like that! It makes everything worth it! Oh and Congratulation on the move! I didn't even know you were moving that weekend! I'm so sorry we couldn't help! We were out of town. But I can't wait to see your new place!

Ammon said...

Mmm.. Cocoa Puffs...

Ioana said...

Don't you just love days like that? That's when those Cocoa Puffs are used by mommies for therapeutic reasons...LOL
You are a great Mom!!!

Brea Eskelsen said...

You hit it on the nose. I so know what you mean. Love your house! Good luck with the move.

Laura said...

I loved catching up on your blog! Your kids are so cute and so smart! That Issac! And they do look a lot a like! That is so fun! You are such an amazing mom and woman! You always inspire me. Sorry I could go with you today, but thank you for thinking of me. I sure miss you. Let's really try to get together soon. And you are still an amazing writer. So witty and cute, it intimates me to blog -so thanks a lot! :)