Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Breaking Dawn

If you have not yet read Breaking Dawn and do not want to hear some plot spoilers, please do not read this post! Ok, now that you have been warned, I want to just write a few things that I have been pondering this evening after finishing Breaking Dawn this afternoon.

I thought the beginning of the book was WONDERFUL! The wedding, the honeymoon, the pregnancy, loved it, loved it, loved it! But then it started going downhill for me. By the end, it seemed more like a sci-fi movie than a romance thriller with everyone and their special powers and protection shields.

It seemed like Renesmee's growth just sped up a little to fast, but I guess they did just skip a few months there. But still, it seemed a bit convenient that she was talking in complex sentences just about instantly. And the name Renesmee?!? Yeah.

And the whole "fight" with the volturi seemed so lame to me! I was expecting a huge battle, a big climax, lots of tension, but no. the Volturi just gave up, realized their defeat, and backed away. I would have love to have one of them die, especially if it would have been some accident that one of them killed another. Something more severe than just a tittle shame would have been more satisfying. It seemed to me that by the end of the book, Meyers was too intent on getting her paycheck than finishing the story more completely. (don't even get me started on the typos!!) I am disappointed in the way this series ends. Even Belle should have been left with a little bit of a scar from her encounter instead of becoming some mega vampire who, all of a sudden, has this perfect life with her perfect husband, perfect child, and perfect tie now with Jacob. Even her human family situation is working out a bit too perfectly with Charlie all of a sudden embracing her strange new life. A little too perfect, she should have had something off to have to deal with as a result of her becoming a vampire.

I would have also liked to have seem more about the Romanian vampires (for obvious reasons). Couldn't they have brought some younger vampires along for the show? Maybe some women in the group? Ok, I know this is a mute point, but it would have been more fun for me. :)

Ok, there's my rambling for tonight. I know that I am often unusually opinionated and picky about books, but I had such high hopes for this one and was a bit disappointed. Please tell me what you think!

2 comments:

Jeff said...

You so totally ruined it for me. Oh wait, I never have, nor ever will read the Twilight books so no worries. I'm pretty sure the main guy could have used a BFG to spice things up. Ask Jarom what a BFG is. :)

David and Taryn said...

I agree with you that the ending was lame. I was hoping for a fight too after she spent the entire book leading up to a fight and then all we got was one chapter of the Volturi turning into cowards. And the fact that Bella and her life was all of a sudden perfect was dumb too. It did kinda seem like Meyer was just in a hurry to get the book done and get paid. The whole book just felt rushed. Oh well. At least she and Edward were able to have a child, that made me happy!