I was at the store yesterday getting groceries and was scoping out the Kool-Aid when two other women were kind of blocking the isle. I maneuvered around them to grab a few packets when one woman said to me something about how she never lets her kids drink Kool-Aid. Well, I said, it's better than soda! And she replied, I don't let them drink that either. Then I looked at the coco puffs cereal I had also added to my cart, and then the guilt sank in. Am I a bad mom for letting my child drink Kool-aid? I know that it's just ridiculously concentrated food coloring with a hint of flavor, and I rationalize that I only had half of the recommended sugar, but it's getting him to drink fluid, right? Then with the cereal, is it bad to let my son eat the sugary concoction at will? Often, many times a day? It's better than candy, sure, but healthy? Ok, maybe not. At least it has whole grains and some nutritional fortitude... or so the rationalizing continues.
Then I get to thinking about other kid foods, like hot dogs, chicken nuggets, etc. Why is it that my son will choose a greasy hot dog over something wonderful like grilled chicken or steak? Is there something in those overly processed meat products (if you can call them that?) that calls to the appetites of our little ones? But, my little inner voice says, at least he's getting some protein.
Then I have experiences like tonight when I look over and see my son willingly put some green beans and carrots in his mouth, chew, and actually look happy about it! Then I think, ok, even though he had Spaghetti-o's for lunch, at least he ate three bites of vegetables of his own accord. That's gotta count for something, right?
10 comments:
It definitely counts for something! And I cannot believe that that lady at the grocery store actually made a point of telling you that she doesn't let her kids drink kool-aid! Who says that? Lame! There are are lot of worse things you could give them and I don't think that makes you a bad parent at all. You're right, at least they're getting fluids! I still am just in shock that someone would actually say that to you!
First off, have you seen the clear kool-aid? That stuff is the greatest invention EVER!!! And processed meat? Have we not learned that we should be thrifty and not wasteful? That's what a chicken nugget is, a small reminder that conservation works. Oh sure getting your kids to eat green beans might sound like some kind of impressive accomplishment, but kids like colorful things! It's in their nature! How do you make meat attractive? Therein is what separates mediocrity from genius. Letting my kids eat something bland looking and having them enjoy it makes me a super-dad. Heaven knows I had far worse tasting on my mission. And as far as cereal goes I have two words for you: Sacrament Meeting. If it's good enough for kids in there, it's good enough for kids any where, any time, any place.
That lady was way out of her line there!!! I'm sure she's not as "perfect" with her kids as she claims to be. Yeah, so he drinks kool-Aid and eats cocoa-puffs, but he also eats fruits and vegetables. How many times is he going to be a kid in this life? Let him enjoy stuff now. You are an excellent mother! Don't ever doubt that!
things like this happen only in Utah. LOL or maybe not, but most likely. I gave my dauter Pepsi the other day and she enjoyed it. I don't do that that often, but she had to taste it at least. haha. I also keep her on a K-cereal diet; well not really, she just likes eating anything i eat - almost.
Spaghettios are chock full of nutrients, that's what is says on the can anyway. I hear you, we must celebrate the small stuff as moms.
You are a fabulous mom!!
Why must women be so brutal? Ryan recently brought up the time I came home crying from the grocery store because some stranger had told me the twins, who were then newborns, looked underweight and it was obviously my doing. I have no memory of the confrontation as I must have somehow blocked it out! But KOOL-AID? That's a childhood summertime staple, right up there with popsicles and ice cream, for crying out loud!! Anyone with kids knows that feeding toddlers is rocket science and a couple of bites of any nutrition is an accomplishment. I for one would prefer the sugar in Kool-Aid to a dehydrated child any day. Isaac is growing like a weed and heavens no! should you even be thinking these things Claudine! Do I even need to remind you of the wonderful childhood you are currently providing for your little ones, rich in so many ways besides nutrition? :) I am totally laughing though because I just brought home like 7 packets of Kool-Aid for the girls!!
Some people are just stupid! You are not a bad mom! You are a wonderful mom! Sugar is the staple of Aspens diet!
I think you are a great mom too!! I give Taylor Kool Aid all the time and she is not that big into sugar stuff so I don't think giving them Kool Aid here and there is bad!! We all lived off it and look how we turned out!LOL
Goodness - you must have run into the only perfect Mom in the universe! Her kid is the kid you sneaks over to their friends house for the GOOD stuff :0)
I love Jeff's comments - so funny!
Carry on Claudine - you are a great mom!
It's hard not to feel guilty or worry when you hear a comment like that. I know I worry about what I feed Xavier, because most of the time it is somewhat microwaveable even if it's the 'healthier' varieties (soydogs, chicken nuggets, toaster waffles) or has a sugar kick to it (today it was way too many grapes and Nesquik in his goat milk). I know I sound like a weird mom but he has a sensitivity to regular cow milk. ANYway... I can tell you know what your kids are eating and are making sure they get a chance to eat veggies as well as Cocoa Puffs. I think that says something!
Post a Comment