Sunday, August 31, 2008

Happy Birthday Gabby!

6 years ago we were living in my parent's basement while I was finishing up school at WSU and we had a little bit of a hobo spider problem. We tried spider traps and sprays which helped, but then Jarom had the idea of getting a cat (who generally love eating spiders). I was a bit skeptical at first, never having had a cat. We were dog people growing up. But after getting permission from my parents, we went to the animal shelter and found the cutest little kitten I had ever seen. She had a sister in the cage with her, but two kittens would have been too much (although now I wish we did have them both!). So we got our little kitten and she was an excellent little spider predator, but more than that, she burrowed a place into my heart and I fell in feline love with my kitty.
Then, as it took us a few years before we were able to have children, Gabby took the role of needy dependent and made sure that we learned to worship her adequately. She still will often sleep in our bed (sometimes cleaning our foreheads during the night if our level of cleanliness doesn't quite live up to her code). After we lost our first little baby, Gabby stayed by my side for weeks and was so comforting to me and greatly added to my healing. Then when I got pregnant with Isaac a few months later and spent months on bedrest, she was my constant companion (since she spends most of the day in bed anyway). We were quite the pair.Since having kiddos, though, her role in the family has changed a bit. Instead of being THE PRINCESS, she has been downgraded to just being the princess. She doesn't demand quite as much attention from us any more and has reluctantly agreed to let Isaac shower his love and attention on her. Isaac claims her completely and corrects me if I call her my kitty. No Mommy, he says, Gabby is Isaac's kitty. So even though my actions may not always show it, I love my cat and I so happy that she has joined our family. She is the best, most beautiful cat and I am so glad that she is mine, err, Isaac's. Happy 6th Birthday Gabbi-rella! (Isaac speak for Gabriella)

1 comment:

Brea Eskelsen said...

I remember when you got "Isaac's kitty"! Seems like just yesterday. What a nice memorial. It is fun to watch your home progress. I am sorry I missed you guys when you were in town!! Of all days to have a baby. I hope we can get together another time. I would love to see you guys.