Saturday, February 14, 2009

Isaac + Scissors =

The other day, I was brainstorming some ideas of things to do with Isaac to keep him busy and entertained on these long, cold, wintry days and I had one of my more brilliant ideas yet - I should teach Isaac how to use scissors! So, being the good mom that I am, I shopped the art supply isle while out shopping and found, what I considered, to be the safest kids scissors available.

Well, fast forward a few days. Jarom found Isaac downstairs on his own chopping apart some of his artwork. He must have found out where I had been hiding the scissors. Upon further inspection, Jarom discovered he had done more than just cut apart some watercolors. He then marched Isaac upstairs to show mommy the damage:
So now I'm in a quandary. Do I just let it grow out? Or do I give my son a short buzz cut to even out the length in the dead of winter?

Needless to say, we've talked quite a bit about what is and is not appropriate to cut with scissors. Think this lesson will last?

12 comments:

Ioana said...

I have to laugh at this because it is funny. Sorry!:)
Although my kids never cut their own hair (yet), they cut dolls' hair and some clothes. After a good lecture they slowed down, but they still get into cutting things they're not supposed to. I don't know if it ever goes away, but I also have to let them learn somehow...

Anonymous said...

OH no. thats so funny! What a stinker. I'm dreading the day Yazzi tries o cut her own hair. Good luck!

David and Taryn said...

I'm sorry!!! I have seen so many kids that have cut their own hair and then mom's brng them to me desperate to fix it. I would suggest maybe cutting it a little shorter to try and blend it, but not buzzing it all the way because like you said...it's winter and cold. Luckily boys hair grows out fast. Give it a month and you won't even be able to tell he did it. Good luck.

Brooke said...

I'm sorry too! Taylor cut off one of her pony tails during her nap time and I had to go get the other side fixed. Be happy it is a boy there hair does grown fast. She did her's before christmas and I can still tell which side is shorter!

Cindi said...

I didn't even notice it yesterday when I saw him! I think pretty much all my boys cut their hair before. Jarom even cut a kids hair at school! If I remember right, that kid also cut Jarom's hair...it wasn't pretty. :-(

Chris said...

I can't believe it, Ryan did the exact same thing! And almost in the exact same spot. We decided to buzz his hair, but it was the summertime. So no big deal! After reading Cindi's post, I guess this runs in our family.
Welcome to the club Isaac!!
Love, Aunt Chris

Nathan said...

That's funny! Just like him too. Just wait until he tries giving Emilie a hair cut...

Claudine said...

I'm just glad it didn't cut Emilie's hair!!! That is my big fear now. His hair is cute short, but she just barely got hair and it's so cute, I would be very sad if he did that.

Stacy said...

Oh my goodness, how funny! I guess that's part of the learning curve with scissors. I still remember hiding behind the couch after I cut my bangs with scissors when I was probably four or five. I bet his hair will grow out quickly...so he can do it again! :)

Stacy said...

Oh my goodness, how funny! I guess that's part of the learning curve with scissors. I still remember hiding behind the couch after I cut my bangs with scissors when I was probably four or five. I bet his hair will grow out quickly...so he can do it again! :)

Leslie said...

Oh dear! What an interesting new style Isaac! I think he could start some type of trend among preschoolers, since they have been known to take scissors to their hair...
Our girls helped their friend cut the tail off a stuffed pony, now that was one giant mess. I think there is something about scissors that is irresistible to that age!

Annie Hawkins said...

haha, sa imi spui cand o sa treaca peste faza asta ca sa nu vin inainte pe la tine cu Aren. LOL Glumesc