Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The goal

Just to warn you, this post will probably be pretty boring to read, so I'm not offended if you choose to just ignore it. I just have a few things to get off my chest.

So I know that my weight has been creeping up over the years, and having my babies hasn't helped much, so this week I finally decided to do something about and joined Weight Watchers. I have some friends who have been following their program for a while now and have lost so much weight and are healthier and happier for doing so, and I want that in my life too.

Yesterday I attended my first meeting, and even though I was half distracted trying to keep Emilie from eating some kid's crayons and Isaac from running around the room making his truck engine sounds, I was excited to learn about the new eating rules I'm going to start following. When I got home, I made what I thought was a sensible lunch, noticing the calories and portion sizes. After eating, though, I was still a little hungry. I tried a mid-afternoon snack when Emilie got up from her nap, and that helped a little, but I still didn't feel satisfied, and I got really scared seeing my points wasting away. For dinner, we went to a BBQ with Jarom's ham radio group and I had to be so careful what I ate, and once the food that I put on my plate was gone, I had to really refrain from going back for seconds! Then all night, I just kept stewing about how hungry I was. I kept having to say out loud, "I am full and satisfied! I am full and satisfied!"

So we'll see how day 2 goes. I'm sure that 90% of my hunger pains are psychosomatic and I'm not really as hungry as I think I am. I'm hoping that after a week or two of eating this way, I'll get more acclimated to it. I'm starting to see already how much I over eat, so if anything, it's helping me see some of the mistakes I have been making.

My first goal is to lose about 11 lbs and I'm hoping to lose that by the end of the month. I'll update my progress on my blog. Wish me luck!

10 comments:

janabananagirl said...

I did WW once upon a time and loved it. I wish I'd stuck with it and am even considering going back. You're right that the hunger is psychosomatic to a point. Once your body gets used to less food coming in, it will adjust. And until then let me offer one little tip: Zero Point Soup. That stuff seriously saved me. (Plus it's really good.)

Good luck!

Chelsea said...

That is so hard to get started, good for you! I lost 90 pounds a few years ago, the first month was so hard but then I could really start making good choices without thinking too hard about it. Drinking water all day long seemed to help with the cravings. Good luck! I miss you guys.
(I also used a weight loss ticker on my blog. It forced me to stick with it or everyone would know I gave up!)

Jennifer Hatch said...

I know WW is very difficult for the first little while, but hang it there, I swear it get's easier!

Claudine said...

Thanks for the support guys! I will make some soup, I think that will help! I had some soup (2 points) for lunch today with a tortilla wrap and I feel pretty satisfied. Today is already getting better, and I'm sure it will get easier when I get the hang of things and have more ideas on what is better to eat.

michaelandrachele said...

Good for you for starting WW. I know you can do it. I need to do it with you. Maybe we can help motivate each other.
You are a doll, love you to pieces!

Ioana said...

Congrats and good luck! WW is a great program, and you can definitely do it! Dave's been on it a few years ago and it worked wonders. He did the online thing because he didn't have time to attend the meetings.

Melissa said...

YAY!! I love WW!! I lost 25 pounds in 2 months when I did! You are making me want to do it again! And don't worry you only feel hungry for about 2 to 3 days and then it goes away. (at least that's what it took for me!) And your first week you ususally lose the most! My first week I lost 8.6 pounds!! That totally made my day!! Maybe I better get started again too!! :)

Annakaisa said...

Good for you Claudine!! One of my friends also joined that group and lost 60 pounds! And now looks SO good, and loves her body and her life. So I totally salute her, you or anyone, who will work hard to get fit.

Nic said...

Hey Claudine,
My blog got message up somehow.

Anyways...now I'm http://nickemp.blogspot.com

nicolekemp.com is no more.

Sally Williams said...

Good for you!!! That is awesome! You can totally do it. It take's time getting used to, but it will for sure be worth it.