Monday, March 15, 2010

The Minivan Mom

There's an interesting phenomenon that happens every morning in neighborhoods just like mine . After the husbands are lovingly sent off the work, but before the dew has a chance to melt and the heavy morning mist still blankets the grass, moms load up their cargo (some dressed, some still in pajamas), garage doors open, and the mini van brigade hits the roads. We worry about car seats and spare diapers, not worrying so much if our ragged t-shirt matches our faded jeans. We are the minivan moms.

I don't think anyone who has purchased minivan actually thought that they would ever be that person, but as the family size increases and the demands for a practical way move lots of little bodies increases, the van purchase is made. We are no longer the envy of the road, but we fit in with all the other frazzled parents trying to get things done with their little managers in tow.

Sometimes I think back to my working-outside-of-the-house days when I used to worry about commuting, business casual, office politics, and getting a promotion. Those things are a whole other lifetime away now. Instead, my days are filled with trips to the bank and grocery store, meal planning, laundry, and vain attempts at a clean house. I sometimes miss feeling successful and useful in an office setting, but my lunch dates now are much more exciting, even if the menu includes hot dogs or kool-aid.

It may just be a van, but it's a symbol of who I am. The van, like me, has the most important job of keeping little ones safe and getting them where they need to go, where it's down the street or along life's path. Buckle up, it's going to be a long and bumpy ride!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your minivan mom days and not having to worry about promotions, meetings, getting to work ontime in clean clothes that dint have kid prints in them, trying to cook meals for your family when you won't even be there to enjoy them. I envy the minivan moms. But I know I am working for the greater good:) it gives me something to look forward to...one day not being a working mom. Not only do you have the normal challenges of the day, u get the joyfull challenges of work. You lucky minivan mom! :)

Ioana said...

Thank you for this post-it gave me a good laugh!:) I also never thought I was going to be one of those people: but here I am, a proud minivan mom. I love it and there is nothing else in this world I would rather do. Enjoy these days because they'll go by too quick.

wuxiheather said...

I loved this post. Mike and I have been discussing getting a new car because frankly, my tiny Mazda 3 is hardly big enough for the family anymore, and will be too small when we have another. I had thought we could purchase Mike's company car when he's up to get a new one but he suggested getting a minivan instead. It just makes more sense. So soon I will be that mom too. And I am not ashamed! :)

On another note, I know Chief would love to have a little visitor any time and I'd love the company too! Give us a call if you ever want a little escape from the house and a distraction for the kids! We'd love to see you!

Annakaisa said...

This was funny! I've sworn too that I will NEVER be a minivan owner. But who knows... more kids maybe someday, and minivans sure seem to be a great way to fit everyone in!