Friday, January 4, 2008

22 Week Visit

I had another doctors visit this afternoon, and as usual, went expecting bad news, especially considering the number of big contractions I've had this week, but yet again, things are still looking good. My cervix is still holding strong and I just don't believe it! I need to really stay off my feet as much as possible though because the more I'm up and about, the more contractions I have. Last night and today have been pretty bad.

This week is a little bittersweet for me because my first little girl Isabelle was born at 22 weeks. That whole experience has changed every aspect of my very being, especially how I look at myself as a mother. Because of her, I had the strength to trudge through Isaac's pregnancy without too many complaints. In many ways, it's kind of hard to expect another baby girl because of the emotions I have attached to my first daughter, but it's just another one of life's lessons that I'm still learning from. And I know that this little girl is not the little girl that I lost, nor do I want to do anything to make her feel that way. But it's hard to not at least be reminded about it. So that's the bitter part of this week, the sweet part is knowing that I'm 22 weeks and still have an intact cervix and that my baby is still safe inside my womb. I don't know of too many things that are sweeter than that. Now the next milestone to reach is 24 weeks, because even if something happens and she came after that point, her chances of making it are very good, and better with each day and week that passes. Considering how well are already doing compared to my past pregnancies, I think this baby will be able to keep baking for quite a while longer.

On a completely different note, I am amazed at how strong the wind is blowing outside!!! My bedroom windows face south and we get all the wind coming down off South Mountain. Sometimes it feels like the wind is going to blow our house away! I don't remember the last time the wind was this strong. This must be some storm on its way tomorrow!

1 comment:

mindi said...

I am so very happy that things are going so well with your pregnancy! It's crazy all the lessons life throws at ya - isn't it - but it's good when we can recognize the lessons and become better because of them! Keep up the positive attitude - you're an example to all of us.
P.S. The wind is awful at my house too (oh wait, maybe that's cuz I only live a few houses down!)