It's not often that I make something with no real recipe to be guided by, but the other day, I had a hankerin' for some cream cheese wontons. I think I'm just in a Chinese food mood lately. (And no, I'm not pregnant.) I had Jarom do a quick google search for recipes as I was on my way to the store, but the recipes were pretty vague, so I tried to just come up with my own version, and they turned out great! I made the first batch last night, and my parents were in the area and stopped by and were able to sample my first attempt. I had a bunch of left over wonton wrappers, so I made some more tonight and they turned out so good too. Here's what I did:
For the cheese filling, cream together:
1 package of cream cheese
1/2 to 3/4 cup of shredded cheese
1 T dried onions
Then just put about a teaspoon ball of the cheese mixture on a wonton wrapper, seal up the sides with water, and put them on a plate. I covered them with a towel as I was working so they wouldn't dry out too much.

Then fill a large frying pan with oil, get it nice and hot, and drop those lucious babies right into the oil. Let them sit for a few minutes until the wrapper is covered in little bubbles, you don't want them to cook too much. Flip them over with tongs and let the tops cook for another minute or two.

And voila, you have a wonderful, delicious, crispy wonton that even kids will eat! Just ask Isaac, he ate tons of them!
2 comments:
I love these, but have never tried making my own before. Thanks for the recipe...I will have to try it soon!
Oh, I can tell you're a great cook! Those look delicious! Your family is so lucky!
Post a Comment