Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pudding

After dinner, Isaac opened up the fridge and declared, I want pudding! And not being one to want to deny my special guy puddin', I called my mom and got her recipe that she used to make for us as kids, especially when we were sick. It's super easy and is so yummy, so if you have sick kids, or you just like pudding, then give my mom's recipe a try!

Ingredients:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar (or less to taste)
1/4 corn starch
2 egg yolks

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring continually with a wire whisk until it thickens (right about the time it comes to a soft boil), about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour into bowls, allow to cool, then enjoy!

For variations, you can also add a tablespoon of cocoa to the mix before cooking, or any other flavoring that suits your fancy.

I gave Jarom his bowl to eat and it was still fairly warm. He asked if pudding should be cold before eating, and I said that I don't know. As kids, we never waited around long enough to get it cool and just ate it hot! So it probably does taste good cold, if you can wait that long.

And I have a confession to make, I have a bunch of heavy cream in my fridge that I need to use up, so I only used 1 1/2 cup milk, then a half cup of cream, and it tasted so yummy!!!

3 comments:

Susie Chadwick said...

Yum! I recently learned how to make pudding from scratch and now I am addicted to it. Here's my recipe: http://swishinasrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/09/quick-chocolate-pudding.html

Annie Hawkins said...

Am vrut sa fac pudinca de asa de mult timp si nu gaseam o reteta in casa si nu am vrut sa ma uit pe internet ca sunt asa de multe. O sa incerc reteta ta intr-o zi; poate chiar weekendul asta. :D

Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious! I've only made pudding out of a box before. I'll definitely have to try it from scratch. I love pudding. Thanks for the recipe!