Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rice Crispies Treats

While the kids have been sick, I've been making a lot more comfort foods lately. Last night I tried an experiment with Rice Crispies treats and thought I would share the love in case anyone else out there has also abandoned any new years resolution to lose weight. I'm not going to post the recipe for the RCT's since they are printed on just about every package of marshmallows out there. First of all, while grocery shopping, I found some cute Christmas marshmallows in their after-Christmas sale cart and grabbed a bag for pretty cheap. Problem is it had both red and green marshmallows, and if I used them both, I would end up with BROWN RCT's, and that's not appetizing to anyone. So I seperated the colors and just used the green (and made up the difference with regular white ones from my pantry). Then as I was mixing it all up, here comes the really sinful part, I added the red ones in with the cereal, unmelted. The result?The marshmallows got really soft from the warmth of the cereal/marshmallow mixture but didn't melt, and it gave a delightful extra gooeyness that was very satisfying. You could easily do the same thing with regular miniature marshmallows and I bet it would turn out just as great.

For dinner, Isaac request my brother Jeff's Taco Soup. I had to search through his blog to find the recipe, so I hope he doesn't mind, but I'll save you the trouble and post a link to his recipe here. I didn't have any ground beef or kidney beans, so I just used some canned chicken and black beans and it still turned out really good. Gracias, Jefe!

As for the kids, they are still plugging along with their coughing and runny noses. Emilie is handling things pretty well although is still a bit on the moody side (how much of that is from being sick and how much is from being a PRINCESS, I don't know). And Isaac is handling his treatments well enough. It takes about 20 minutes for the nebulizer to deliver the entire dose of medication, and after about 15 minutes, he gets really bored, so we have to do a lot of encouraging and bribing and he's being such a trooper. I can tell that it is helping, especially in the morning. He is still acting very energetic and crazy, which is good. It's when he gets lethargic and sullen that I start to worry. I'll take an obnoxious kid any day!

No comments: