So I'm pretty proud of myself. I got up early (ok, that was more thanks to the kiddos than to any self control on my part), showered, ate a sensible breakfast, dressed the kids, and packed up the kids to go to the gym. (I even called ahead to make sure the daycare had room today!) Then we drove to the gym, got the kids settled in the daycare for a half hour, and then it was just me and the track.*side note: My friend Darla talked me into signing up for a 5K in Provo on April 3. That's just one month away! I haven't done much running since 2006 I think, so I'm pretty rusty, and crazy.
Ok, back to the story. So I get on the track and start my warm-up walk around the track, then start running. The first lap goes great! Easy, no sweat! I'm back into my old running mode! Then the next lap, not quite as good, but still I persevered. Laps 3-5 were a little better, and then I found my groove and kept going for a few more laps. 12 laps is one mile, and after the 9th lap, I was pretty tired, so I walked the rest of the way to reach my mile. But still, 3/4 of a mile after not running for a while is still pretty good. I have a long way to get to the 3 mile mark, but it's a start.
So after I was feeling all great about my running, I saw that I had about 12 minues left until I needed to get the kids from the daycare, so I went into the cardio room and thought I would use the ellipticle for the remaining time. I got on and started going, but after a few minutes, one of the pedals would squeek every so often. Oh well, not the end of the world, so I kept going. I knew I only had a few more minutes, so I didn't want to take the time to clean off the machine and get on a new one. I had my goal for how long I wanted to go, but about one minute before my goal, this lady infront of me (who incidentally stole the fan that was right infront of my machine right as I got there!) turns around and very rudely says, "Is that your machine making that noise? It's distracting me, can you move to another machine?" I was one minute away from my goal, one minute! And she was giving me nasty glares, so I just stopped, cleaned of the machine, and got my kids.
Does she think I was enjoying the squeeking? Or that I was on the machine because I had nothing better to do than to make her life miserable? I just don't understand why people feel the need to be so rude.
Next time, I'm just going to stick to the track.
9 comments:
Some people are plain rude! I would have ignored her and finished my workout. Either way, you should be proud of yourself for doing so great!
I would have suggested a space away from my machine fo her to finish her workout... If she told me I was rude I would have said something like "yeah, but you were rude first..." :)
Man!!! Thats why i dont work out. hehehe. Oh wait, i'm just lazy. But can i say how amazing that is for not running in awhile! I would have had to walk the whole time. Good job! now back to the mean lady, I think i would have stayed on and given it my all the last minute so the squeaking was really fast. hehehe. I guess i'm mean too.
If that were me I would have liked to say to her that she needed to move since she came and blocked out the fan you were enjoying and she was the one who didn't like the noise! Not your fault it sqeaks! You were nice not to say something rude back. It's hard biting your tongue in moments like that. Good job taking the high road!
I would have apologized and just finished your workout and let her know you were almost done. I'm kind of snotty sometime's and if it were me, I would have just kept going until she got tired of it and left.
Wow. I wish I were as good as you. I would have just said, "Give me one more minute and I'll be outta your way." Plus, she took your fan, you had every right to finish up :)
I guess I have a bit more of an attitude problem that you do when it comes to rude people like that. I totally would have stayed. :)
I agree with Jenny. I would have stayed...and said something like "You should complain to the manager about the noisy pedal. It's not my problem!"
On second thought....you should have said "Bite me! You took my fan!" ;)
Post a Comment