Saturday, March 21, 2009

Nursing Strike

This week we've also had some issues with nursing, and while I think ours is a slightly less common problem, I thought I would share in case someone out there runs in to a similar situation.

It all started the other night when I was nursing Emilie before bed. She was really tired and a bit grumpy and when she was finishing up, she bit me. It hurt. A lot. So I screamed! And it must have scared her too because started wailing and crying and refused to nurse any more that night, so I just put her in bed and let her cry herself to sleep. She woke up during the night hungry and she nursed then, but after that, she wouldn't nurse any more. This went on for two more miserable days. Every time I would try to feed her, she would turn her head and start crying.

We tried giving her bottles, she refused.
We tried sippy cups, went slightly better.
We tried a syringe, no go.
We tried pumped milk, didn't care for it.
We tried formula, wouldn't hear of it.
We tried cow's milk, not her cup of tea. (although hilarious when I drank the rest of it and Rachele thought I was drinking formula!!!)

So I was desperate to get this girl to nurse again, I was worried that she was going to get dehydrated! Jarom did some research online and found some helpful articles here, here, and here. I also called the pediatrician's office and got in touch with a lactation consultant who suggested we tried some skin-to-skin contact and just taking things really slow and let her move at her pace, and that seems to have done the trick because she finally started nursing again! Yeah! Things aren't 100% normal yet, and she still hesitates a little bit sometimes, but at least she's nursing again and we don't have to try to figure out what we're going to do about hydrating her.

6 comments:

Susie Chadwick said...

I screamed when Maggie bit me one time too, so don't feel too bad.

Brooke said...

Taylor did the same thing to me! My doctor said just dont give her milk in here ceral only make it with water. It took a few days too but she did nurse again. I feel for you and glad things are back to normal.

Leslie said...

Olivia has been known to arch her back while eating--every time I wonder if I'll end up like that crazy story I heard in the mothers lounge about someone having to get completely reattached if you catch my drift. Screaming was completely justified Cloey! Though I will keep in mind it does throw them out of their eating groove. :) I'm glad things are on their way back to normal for you.

Ioana said...

Oh, you poor thing! I screamed really loud too when Zach bit me. He never bit me after that.:) Sometimes screaming is good!
I'm glad that things are getting better now.

Anonymous said...

I stopped nursing Yazzi at 4 months cause she got teeth and never stopped bitting. NO MATTER WHAT. The doc said to flick her on her check everytime she would bite, but she would just bit down and NOT let go!!! So as a result she HAD to learn to like formula, cause i was DONE!

Kathryn S. said...

Has she tried biting you again? Maybe the scream helped in the long run because she's taking to nursing again (thankfully) and now too scared to bite again(hopefully)?!