Ever since I was a little girl, one of my favorite Christmas traditions was to visit Temple Square as a family to see the Christmas lights. And pretty much every year since we've been married, we've managed to always make at least one trip downtown to see the beautiful lights.
Last year, we took TRAX downtown, and Isaac had so much fun riding the train, so we took it again this year. The kids did ok, but both got pretty squirmy towards the end. On the way home, though, it was nice because I could feed Emilie and she actually fell asleep in my arms.

I love the pretty nativity they put up in the reflection pool this year!

A helicopter kept circling overhead and Isaac was so excited to watch it fly around. Here is is standing with his little friend Will - he and his parents and baby brother came along with us tonight.

I had a hard time getting a shot of jus the two kids because the battery in my camera was getting a bit temperamental and by now the kids were a bit tired, so this was the best I could get.

The most beautiful full moon was out tonight, and positioned behind the temple with the lights and everything else was just amazing to see.

And last but not least, I wanted to share a few insights I had tonight while we visited the Christus statue. As we reached the top of the landing, all the little kids just ran up to get as close as possible. Isaac even climbed under the ropes because he wanted to get up to the statue and touch it. My first instinct was to grab him and scold him, but then I had a glimpse into what it must have been like when the Savior said to suffer the little children to come unto him, and took them into his arms and blessed them. I think that he is happy that kids are so instinctively drawn to him and feel happy being up close to him, both literally and spiritually. I can learn so much from these beautiful children.
The other thing I noticed about the statue was how Christ's toes are sculpted. It's a silly thing to notice, but his pinky toe is kid of curved under the next toe. It's such a minor thing, and it's not to say that our Lord and Savior has crooked toes, but if he does, I think it's neat to think that his toes have the same quirky variations that we all have. And maybe some of the features on my body that I may not consider to be perfect might not be so imperfect after all.
2 comments:
It sound's like a fun time!!! I love your insight on Christ's toe's. That is very interesting and something I never even noticed.
Temple Square is such a magical place, especially at Christmas time. That is such a nice tradition you have!
Post a Comment